Tuesday, June 04, 2013

The Right To Bear Arms

     I never intended Jack of All Spades to become a gun-centric organization. I feel that the firearm is merely a tool with a purpose similar to my flint and steel or my emergency water. I don’t see them as harmful or inherently dangerous but I do treat them the same way I would my axe or hatchet. I believe that most people agree that any weapons can be dangerous in the wrong hands. The reason that I write this article though is not to persuade you to be a 2nd amendment supporter or to go out and buy a gun. I merely want to express my deepest concern for what the government is doing to stop the violence in America; they’re doing nothing. 

     For as long as I can remember, the political officers of the United States have regularly misused tragedy for their own causes. This is in reality just human nature to make the best of a situation but the real issue arises when that person takes a very serious situation and pushes through an agenda on the backs of small children. I deeply regret the tragic events involving recent active shooters and wish a speedy recovery to all involved. I wish that the communities worst hit by these events can move past these events with strength. Life gives us lemons every day; I just don’t expect them to come in the form of an active shooter. What I do expect is that no matter the lemon, we can find a way to make lemonade. 

     The patriotic duty of every citizen of this great nation is to be somewhat if not very active in the political structure around them. Politicians and government officials will tell their constituents, “Don’t worry, we’ll take care of it for you, Just relax.” When in reality you should never trust them to take care of anything without your monitoring. Being from Oregon I try my best to keep in the loop with state politics. I know that although Senator Ron Wyden (D) has many different political viewpoints than mine he has regularly shown that he cares for the people of Oregon and operated accordingly. That being said, I still watch to make sure he’s doing his job. I regularly write him and other political leaders about concerns I might have. 

Anti-gun protest in 2012 following the massacre at Sandy Hook
     This “anti-gun” craze that follows every active shooting event is misdirected anger. There is no real connection to your average gun owner and the mentally disturbed with a gun. They might both have purchased the gun legally but take away the weapon and you will more clearly see the difference. You will see that there are two serious issues at hand, and neither of those are the firearms. These issues are clearly are our harboring a culture of violence and a lack of awareness. 

     I don’t know of anyone who would disagree that Americans are naturally more outspoken than many other cultures. We honk our horns, flip people the bird, yell at each other and most even curse worse than sailors (I should know, I am a sailor). I enjoy my violent video games like most and even enjoy a great boxing match or MMA fight. The United States of America, the greatest country in the world is inundated daily with television, video games, movies, friends and other sources of violence. The worst culprit however are not these I’ve just listed but one that most people don’t think of; parents.  

     A child can learn so much of his identity from his parents. In the end, don’t we all end up just like them? I’m not a parent and even if I was one I would never see it as my job to tell you how to raise your child. What I do see as a problem though is children picking up on how their parents treat everyone. Does the father drive angry, yelling and honking his horn? Does the mother curse at all the stress in her life from house or professional work? Children pick up on this and they will exhibit so much of those traits over time. These habits can lead to more violent outbursts and even result in violence against others. 

     When I speak of awareness I speak of being aware of those around you. Not in a physical security sense like we speak of often here at Jack of All Spades but in more of a mental sense. Do you notice when your friend is showing signs of hurting himself? Does the father of a disturbed child notice that he is depressed? Does a mother recognize the starting signs of a more serious mental issue? Paying close attention to those we care about could give us ample time to help each other in the exact same way catching cancer early can save a life. Finding help for those who might need it is the first step in preventing them from hurting themselves and others. 

     I don’t claim to know the psychological reasons behind active shooters however I suspect that they are depressed enough to not care if they live or die and they’re angry enough to not care if others die. Whatever the cause for it all these things issues must be addressed before moving on to the tool used. There is no shame in seeking help for a loved one and no shame at all in reporting a possible threat to the proper people. There are hundreds of clinics and organizations to help you out. I am a very big fan of the Mayo Clinc’s website. They offer tons of info on everything from basic first aid to mental help. This link here is only a preliminary overview of more serious issues but it’s at least a start. 

     The very least you can do is help to identify the signs. If these signs are present then notify someone. Do it before they purchase a gun or find a weapon. This is the approach we desperately need in this country and even though I understand that you may never see it coming you can at least try. I think that there are more signs available to signal that there is a problem with someone. As medical professionals often say, “we need to treat the sickness no the symptom”. The symptom is gun control whereas the sickness is psychological. The second amendment was designed to protect ourselves in the event that we needed to. I recognize that there is less a need to defend ourselves physically from the government but there is still a very real need to defend ourselves against evil. 

     Shortly we will see a wave of government officers proposing gun bans and firearm restriction laws. I urge everyone to write and protest the bills so that we can move on to the real issue. Suggest that more action be taken to kill this sickness and not worry about the symptom. Let us kill this apathy within us and encourage others to focus on those around them. Look for opportunities to support one another. Together we can take back America from our self-serving politicians and enjoy the freedoms of a less violent United States!

No comments:

Post a Comment