Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Everday Carry


     Growing up I ended up with certain items that I required myself to bring with me no matter where I was going or what I was doing. In a suit and tie or in blue jeans you could empty my pockets and always find certain items. With almost every item there was a reason and although most might have thought the reasons strange the items were utilized more than I would have expected.  Most of the items were tools for everyday use and some were “just because” or “just in case” but I can say that each item was used on more than one occasion and borrowed by more than just one person or many an occasion. I became known as the guy that my friends relied on when they forgot to bring a knife or a screwdriver or whatever it might be. The question that spurred this entire article is, “What does an Everyday Jack carry every day?”

     Over the years the items changed but the principles of having these items with me remained and eventually turned into personal law. I now have a list of items I refuse to leave the house without. When I was about 12 years old my list consisted of: Wallet, keys, lockpicks, folding knife, chapstick, lighter, sunglasses and a few quarters. The wallet and keys were more essential than optional but the other items came in handy often. The knife was used so often I ended up usually switching it out with a better one every year or so. Sometimes I even carried a folding knife and a sheath knife at the same time. I wasn’t a smoker and didn’t have any immediate need for a lighter but I felt cool having one and I used it to light a number of firecrackers and cherry bombs over the years. Realistically the lockpicks were over the top and only used once. The reason for carrying them was merely to practice my skills (which never really improved). Lastly, the quarters were for making phone calls before the cell phone craze.

     Now that I’m an adult I usually carry my gun (Taurus Slim PT709 9mm), an extra mag, wallet, keys, kubaton with handcuff key, lighter, folding knife, cell phone, small LED flashlight and cash. Each item is useful in a pinch and is specific to different situations. My wallet and keys are just as essential as when I was 12 but I would add my cellphone into the essential category now. The lighter, folding knife, flashlight and cash are really for emergency use while the gun, extra mag and kubaton are for defense purposes. The handcuff key is really more of a momento from when I worked with the US Navy Police.

     I don’t suggest that everyone follow my recommendations as what to carry everyday but there are a few things to look at when deciding what is right for you. Jack of All Spades recommends you think of these three questions when what to carry: What are you going to need? What might you need? How am I going to carry it? While thinking through these questions remember the purpose of the items; essential items, protection items, survival/emergency items.

     It also might be a good idea to take a look at some of the great websites out there surrounding the subject so you have a better idea of where to start. Here’s a quick list of them that might be useful: 


     Remember the first question, “What am I going to need?” when you’re planning. When I think of a typical day I know I’m going to use all of my items daily with the exception of my gun, kubaton, lighter and handcuff key. I have, without fail utilized every other item daily. You decide what is essential. If you can leave your house without your keys, wallet or cellphone then that is up to you to decide and no one else.

 
Duct tape keychain; always have it with you
    The unexpected emergencies are why we pose the second question “What might you need?”  Jack of All Spades recommends that everyone that can carry a gun, can obtain a Concealed Carry Weapons permit and most importantly feels comfortable to utilize and employ it should carry. Everyday Jacks are there to protect their neighbors and if you’re not equipped to do it then you’re failing as a Jack of All Spades. For those who would rather “dress down” rather than carry a gun, try carrying a kubaton or expanding baton.


     My last note on carrying a gun is that there are many people that have guns but lack either the confidence or judgment to use it. There are many classes offered by qualified instructors to assist people in finding the confidence to employ their guns. If you’d like to gain more confidence with a sidearm then seek out those willing to teach you. I know plenty of people who’d even take you out and teach you for free as long as you cover the price of ammo.

     Remember that these items are not always something you need to carry on you at all times. Just because I carry them all the time doesn’t mean that you couldn’t find alternative ways of doing it. Having a special bag in your car with these items is better than leaving them at home and there’s nothing wrong with stowing a first-aid kit, flashlights, knives and other items within reach if you decide not to carry. I understand that the bulk of a gun can be an issue and for some women it might be difficult to find the right holster for your gun because of the sexy dress you’re wearing. Understand that there are lots of alternatives to the traditional holsters (Flashbang bra holster).

     To answer the question posed above of what a Jack of All Spades carries you can be sure that no matter the list, he or she is ready for their day and that if called upon they are ready to defend to the best of their ability. No one’s list is the same however we encourage all Jacks and all Jills to be expect the worst and hope for the best because we are here to stop the worst from happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment