Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Peace Of Mind


     The greatest consequence of preparation for any event is peace of mind. There can be no greater feeling of relief before, during and after a terrible event than knowing that you were prepared. The eastern United States was hammered by one of the worst storms seen in years causing flooding, power outages, fires and even death. The complete consequences are still unknown while people crawl out of the devastation to see what waits. I first wish to express my deepest condolences to anyone who has been severely affected by this storm and wish a speedy recovery for everyone. 

     What really struck me was the amount of people that are completely unprepared for such events. I believe everyone understands the dangers of a hurricane, tornado, earthquake or other natural disaster but they lack the wisdom to prepare for these events. About four days prior to the storm making landfall the media and local leaders advised the citizens on how best to prepare. Most people ran to the grocery and hardware stores to gather supplies, fighting over the last jug of water or loaf of bread. Lines were seen out the door and most people left empty handed having to drive to another store in search of supplies. 

     Two nights prior to the storm making landfall I realized we had run low on milk and I went to the store to get some groceries. I was amazed that there was so little on the shelves. The normally stocked milk locker was empty of all but a few gallons of 2%. I walked past the empty shelves of the soup isles and the now barren drink isle. Even the bakery had been picked clean leaving just a few bagels and only one loaf of bread. 

     I smiled to myself at how wonderful it felt to have already had these items on hand. To be honest I should have picked up some milk earlier knowing that the unprepared were going to raid the stores but I could have lasted a few more days without milk. Preparation had once again saved me so much stress and hassle of not only fighting with people to get basics but waiting in endless lines for things I could have picked up weeks ago. 

Food Storage closet of an avid prepper.
     Not everyone has extra money lying around and I understand the economic strains that most of us deal with. The greatest thing is that if you can plan to have even $10 extra a month and you spend that on supplies you might need, you will be ready for almost anything. I set aside about $20-30 a months for my preparation fund. This means that I spend it on water, medical supplies, Go-Bag replenishment items, batteries, food storage and other items. My normal grocery list is full of items that I can use as food storage and I try to buy one extra can than I need so that I can stockpile some of the items. By using items I eat on a regular basis I can cycle through the items to make sure they’re fresh and ready. 

     I don’t have large food stores like I would need if it came down to surviving for months. Money is so tight I can only afford my $20-30 and at times I can’t even do that. Even at that level of preparedness I was able to ride out this storm comfortably without any fear of the dangers that were presented. I had a peace of mind and was grateful for it. 

     Storage space is also sometimes and issue and living in a small apartment like I do can be difficult deciding where best to store things. You would be surprised at the little amount of space six months’ worth of food storage can really take. I think that most people can find a place for it. Buying items like rice and oats are a sure way to stock your supply quickly and cheaply. Most of these items store well for extended periods and are great food in an emergency. Canned foods are also ready for easy storage and there are multiple options on how best to store them. Many storage container supply stores offer racks, shelves and other reasonable ways to store your food in ways that best minimize the amount of space they occupy. 

     The bottom line is that a month’s worth of food storage is minimal and nearly essential for everyone. Building up to six months or more can be difficult but worth it. Remember that preparing for these natural disasters is as important as providing everyday shelter and food for your family. Without these items you’ll be stuck in the line with others fighting over the last gallon of water or loaf of bread. Don’t be caught without the essentials when the time comes. Be prepared and receive that peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment